Friday 14 December 2012

Competitions, Prizes and Afternoon Tea



Well, what an enviably busy time I’ve experienced since my last blog. Competitions, the country’s longest established weekly magazine and local editors have all featured in my diary these past few weeks.

At the launch of the Berkhamsted Short Story Competition (see my October blog) in Waterstones, Berkhamsted, I graced a panel of writers which included headline judges Freya North and Jonathan Stroud. Eager writers crammed into the shop to absorb our advice and tips before mingling, munching and sipping the generously donated wine and nibbles. And I’m pleased to report that a handful of entries have already arrived though there’s still plenty of time to enter. See www.stfrancis.org.uk/bwc for further details.

As part of this initiative, by the way, I will be running a two hour Inspiration to Write Workshop on Wednesday, 30 January so do let either me or the Hospice know if you’d like to book a place.

Just to show that I don’t limit myself to local events, however, I also spent a week working at the Covent Garden offices of The Lady magazine. No doubt you read my Daily News Round Ups along with the weekly resumé of national events? Yes, I thought so. As you would expect from such an iconic periodical, The Editor and his staff were charming and they have asked me to return which I have agreed to do in February.

Back in the Shires, I have just presented prizes to the winners of this year’s Chiltern Writers Poetry Competition, judged by the multi talented Honorary Member, Christopher North, and shared festive merriment with fellow CW members.

Oh, and just the other day I mingled over afternoon tea with the Editor and journalists of The Bucks Herald. 

In fact, looking back, I’m amazed how I find time to write. And on that note, you must excuse me, I have a feature to finish . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment